Monday, June 14, 2010

Welcome to the Real World!

For those of you who don't know about me having to go to court, "Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up." ~Inigo Montoya
I got my wallet stolen on April 11
I got a new license on April 12
On April 13 someone in Prince George County(2 1/2 Hours from my house) using my license got pulled over and was given a ticket for reckless driving.
They did not pay the ticket or go to court. Since they used my license I got the letter saying that I would be sent to jail if I did not pay the said amount of money and go to court on June 14.

So the day came: Mom, Dad, and I hopped in the car at 7:30 this morning and headed down for my trial at 11:00. We arrived at the courthouse with an hour to spare. I sat and read mostly and then looked at the trial lists. Lots of names and mine was one of the few that had the word "Convicted" next to it. Now of course this was from the woman who stole my license not showing up to court originally, but it still shook me up. I was pretty shaky, but Mom kept telling me that I looked like and Angel and Dad kept reminding me that I had performed many times, all I had to do this time was tell the truth.
We went into the court room and there was nothing terribly intimidating about it. So i felt slightly better. The judge came in and we were asked to rise. He looked like a bear. He could kill you if he wanted, but if you were sweet like honey he would be nice. The first trial was called (all the people with lawyers get to go first). That trial took less than five minutes. I was thoroughly confused. Several proceeded in that same manner and I was still confused and worried. But then I thought to myself, "Shoot, I survived to Mrs. Montanari's class. I owned her final. If I can do that...Shoot! I got this!"
"Greta Goesch."
Deep breathe Greta. Now stand. Are you standing? Danget. How about now? Got it.
I walked up there and the charges were read.
"How do you plea?"
"Not guilty, your Honor." Look at me bein' classy and sayin' your Honor.
I then said my little piece about not doing it and blah blah blah. The prosecutor then jumped in to help me out. Hahaha the prosecutor was defending me.
The Judge then said, "We have no reason to believe you did this and you seem like a good person. I am dismissing the charges."
I was asked to wait so I could talk to the officer that pulled "me" over. I watched several more cases and realized that I was the only person the Judge did not ask "To tell the whole truth and nothing, but the truth." I guess I look trustworthy.
Watching other peoples' cases are funny when you know you're cleared. Just a fact.
Some people say some funny things.
"I plea guilty with my apologies your Honor."
"I wasn't really daydreaming when I merged, but we got some perty rivers 'round here. I was just lookin' at 'em."
"I plea......Dad? (teenage boy looks at man in back. Man shakes head.) Not Guilty?"

After these cases I went and talked to the officer and a case was opened to find the woman whose walking around with my face. Thats my latest experience with the law.

phew. So yeah...Happy Graduation! Welcome to the real world! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment